N0. 1 Blog for Literary Openings, Gadgets and News in Nigeria

Literary Openings, Gadgets and News in Nigeria | Duketundesblog: SAD! British Antarctic explorer 'Henry Worsley' dies 48km short of goal.

Monday 25 January 2016

SAD! British Antarctic explorer 'Henry Worsley' dies 48km short of goal.

A former Army officer and explorer, from London who attempted to become the first adventurer to cross the Antartica unassisted has died 71 into his expedition after succumbing to infections.

Henry Worsley, 55, from London realized he would not finish his journey after battling weeks of extreme exhaustion and dehydration.

Just 48 kilometres from the end of his charity trek, the married father-of-two was so sick that he was unable to move from his tent.
After being airlifted to a Chile hospital on Friday, doctors diagnosed him with bacterial peritonitis but were unable to stop the infection spreading through his body. He died yesterday morning.

In the diary recording, released to the expedition team's website, he said: "My journey is at an end. I've run out of time, physical endurance, and simple sheer ability to slide one ski in front of the other to travel the distance required to reach my goal. My summit was just out of reach. I've spent 70 days on my own in a place I love. I'll lick my wounds, they will heal over time, and I'll come to terms with the disappointment."


His wife Joanna, 56, said in a statement: "It is with heartbroken sadness I let you know that my husband, Henry Worsley, has died following complete organ failure; despite all efforts of ALE and medical staff at the Clinica Magallanes in Punta Arenas, Chile.

"Henry achieved his Shackleton Solo goals: of raising over £100,000 for the Endeavour Fund, to help his wounded colleagues, and so nearly completing the first unsupported crossing of the Antarctic landmass.

"A crossing made, under exceptionally difficult weather conditions, to mark the 100th anniversary of Sir Ernest Shackleton's Endurance expedition - his lifelong hero.

"On behalf of myself and family, I wish to thank the many hundreds of you who have shown unfailing support to Henry throughout his courageous final challenge and great generosity to the Endeavour Fund. Donations now total over £106,773."
The trek was raising money for the Endeavour Fund, a charity managed by the Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting DTB today, Your opinion counts, Please drop your comments, opinion and advise in the comment section. Thanks again and don't forget to bookmark us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...