N0. 1 Blog for Literary Openings, Gadgets and News in Nigeria

Literary Openings, Gadgets and News in Nigeria | Duketundesblog: Psychologist help Woman who dreamed of becoming BLIND fulfil her lifelong dream

Thursday 1 October 2015

Psychologist help Woman who dreamed of becoming BLIND fulfil her lifelong dream

Dear DTB readers, have you ever read a story and you were WHAT THE F... is this? Well you're about to read one of such crazy story. 
Jewel Shuping, 30, from North Carolina, who has always dreamed of being blind arranged with a psychologist to have drain cleaner poured in her eyes to fulfill her wishes.
Jewel Shuping the lady who dreamed of becoming blind from childhood

Ms Shuping is believed to be suffering from  Body Integrity Identity Disorder (BIID) a condition in which able-bodied people believe they are meant to be disabled.


Telling her weird and shocking story, she said her fascination with blindness began early in childhood and She was always 'blind-simming', which is pretending to be blind.

'My mother would find me walking in the halls at night, when I was three or four years old,' she said.
'By the time I was six I remember that thinking about being blind made me feel comfortable.'
As a child, she would spend hours staring at the sun, watching sunspots and solar storms after her mother told her it would damage her eyes.

Determined to turn her dream into a reality, Ms Shuping found a psychologist willing to help her become blind and took the necessary steps in 2006.

They first put in numbing eye drops, followed by a couple of drops of drain cleaner in each eye.

Ms Shuping admitted the process was extremely painful.

'My eyes were screaming and I had some drain cleaner going down my cheek burning my skin.
'But all I could think was 'I am going blind, it is going to be okay.'

Medics at a hospital tried to save her vision, against her wishes, but they were permanently damaged.

But it took about six months for the damage to fully take effect.

Ms Shuping said her delight went to disappointment when she opened her eyes and realised she could still see.

'When I woke up the following day I was joyful, until I turned on to my back and opened my eyes - I was so enraged when I saw the TV screen.'

However, over time her eyesight diminished to nothing.

Her left eye suffered a 'corneal meltdown' - collapsing in on itself and requiring the eye to be removed - while her right eye had glaucoma and cataracts, and a webbing of scars.
Jewel Shuping aged 16 with a lovely blue eyes holding a Baritone (L), Jewel now blind at age 30

Ms Shuping's family have disowned her after learning it wasn't an accident.

However, she has been supported by her former fiancé Mike, 50, who is registered legally blind - although in his case due to naturally occurring early-onset macular degeneration.

Ms Shuping, who is studying for a degree in education, said she has no regrets and that she dreams of helping other blind people live an independent life.

'I really feel this is the way I was supposed to be born, that I should have been blind from birth.
'When there's nobody around you who feels the same way, you start to think that you're crazy. But I don't think I'm crazy, I just have a disorder.'

Ms Shuping is now sharing her story to help raise public awareness of BIID and to encourage people with the condition to seek professional help.

Source: Dailymail

4 comments:

  1. God forbid.. Mitcheeeeew weird.




    Www.trendwithgloria.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's so mad, some are wishing to see and she destroy her God given vision, she's wicked too cos she should ve donated her sight to those who wish to see. I've not seen anything like this before. So creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remembered reading about a man who amputated his legs because he feel he's supposed to be handicapped. Mad people everywhere. Mostly seen in white people. How can someone take her own vision. This I've never seen before. God forbid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way some people in this weird world of ours reason ehn...imagine how will someone in his right sense want his amputated because he wants to be handicapped...

      Delete

Thanks for visiting DTB today, Your opinion counts, Please drop your comments, opinion and advise in the comment section. Thanks again and don't forget to bookmark us.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...